Monday, March 11, 2013

Alphabet Everywhere, by Elliott Kaufman


In this gorgeous 32-page picture book (making it the perfect size for children--ever notice how almost all preschool books are 32 pages long?) Elliott Kaufman transforms everyday scenes into magic by capturing "natural" occurrences of letters in the everyday world. A bridge becomes the letter W, a door handle the letter B, a swirly lamp post the letter J. It's charming and inspiring. Each page has a handful of different photos to represent a letter of the alphabet. Some are easy to see--like the mosaic tiles that spell out the letter F--while others are trickier--like the twin silos that form the letter M, but only if you look at the negative space above and around them.

I've seen photos like this sold as individual prints (Groupon always seems to have deals for them) that you can purchase in groups to spell out a word or a name, but it wasn't until I saw the whole alphabet laid out like a charming coffee table book did I fully see the appeal. I can't wait to show my daughter these photos. Maybe she and I will go on an "alphabet hunt" nature walk with a camera in hand.
You May Also Like:








Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: