Friday, March 8, 2013

Song for Papa Crow, by Marit Menzin

Song for Papa Crow
Author: Marit Menzin 
Publisher: Schiffer Publishing 
Publication Date: August 31, 2012 
 With children's picture books, the importance of the artwork can not be underestimated. Beautiful illustrations can take a book from being good to being exceptional. The illustrations in Song for Papa Crow are, without a doubt, exceptional. The collage work almost reminds me of something out of a Nick Bantock book (except that this book is, I presume, two dimensional). It's also a wonderful introduction to many of the birds that are commonly found throughout North America.

My daughter and I often see birds from our windows or when we're going for a walk. Unfortunately, unless it's a crow, a blue jay, a pigeon, a seagull or a robin, I usually don't know what the birds are so I can't tell her much about them. So I love books that teach about other birds that we might see (like finches--I always forget about finches). Plus I like that the crow, whose caw had been annoying the other birds throughout the book, ends up being the hero in the end.

Another great (and free!) resource for families and educators interested in learning more about common birds the Celebrate Urban Birds kit available from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Hit the jump for the link and more images from the book!




PLUS: Order a FREE Celebrate Urban Birds kit from Cornell Lab of Ornithology here! (Note: This order is not associated with Marit Menzin or Schiffer Books. I just thought it was very cool.)

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: