Friday, March 15, 2013

Up Cat, by Hazel Hutchins (illustrated by Fanny)




Up Cat

Author: Hazel Hutchins
Illustrator: Fanny 
Publisher: Annick Press 
Publication Date: February 1, 2012 

Oh I loved everything about this book! I loved it as a parent, as an educator, and just as a reader. The illustrations are cute and clever and made me laugh, the concept is simple but actually incredibly smart, and the text is just the right balance between simple enough for very young children but also a little bit sophisticated as well. It's basically a day in the life of a mischievous house cat, with every page being a play on the word "up." So wake up, fill up (food bowl), wash up, but also "turn one's nose up," "up to no good" and--one of my favourites--"fall down but land up." Every page is sure to delight any child or cat lover, but it's also a great way to introduce very young children to the wide variety of ways that language can be used. A word as simple as "up" has a plethora of uses and contexts, but this book makes them accessible, fun and natural. This book ticks all the boxes for me.


As a side note, Annick Press also apparently has a book called Up Dog, which I'm dying to review just so I can make the "up dog" joke from The Office. Does anyone else remember that?


You May Also Like:








Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: