Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Warriors and Wailers: One Hundred Ancient Chinese Jobs You Might Have Relished or Reviled (Jobs in History Series), by Sarah Tsiang

Things I leaned from this book: there was no shortage of jobs in ancient China, though an individual's options would be severely limited by his or her gender, family and station in life; as with most cultures throughout the history of the world, most of the best jobs in ancient China went to men; no matter how bad your life was, it could always get worse; and if I had my druthers, I would be a professional wailer (paid to look sad and cry? Fun!).

You May Also Like:


The World in Your Lunch Box: The Wacky History and Weird Science of Everyday Foods, by Claire Eamer


Uncle John's Kid-Topia Bathroom Reader for Kids Only


Candy Experiments, by Loralee Leavitt


50 Climate Questions: A Blizzard of Blustering Facts, by Peter Christie


Death by Petticoat: American History Myths Debunked, by Mary Miley Theobald


50 Underwear Questions: A Bare-All History, by Tanya Lloyd Kyi


Seeing Red: The True Story of Blood, by Tanya Lloyd Kyi

Shakespeare on Toast: Getting a Taste for the Bard, by Ben Crystal

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: