Thursday, July 11, 2013

Cozy Classics: War and Peace, by Jack Wang and Holman Wang (and Leo Tolstoy)

Cozy Classics: War and Peace
Authors: Jack and Holman Wang (and Leo Tolstoy)
Publisher: Simply Read Books
Publication Date: May 30, 2013
soldier
Ahhh, War and Peace. The classic Russian novel about...um...war...and...something else. If you're a consummate book lover like I am, it's probably on your "to read" list...because, you know, it's a smart person book, right? But you'll probably never read it. I mean, it's over 1200 pages long! I got tired just reading the plot summary on SparkNotes. Luckily, there is finally a solution for the whole family. It's Cozy Classics: War and Peace!

girl

You may remember me gushing about these cozy classics in previous posts (here and here) because they're ridiculously adorable. Jack and Holman Wang create little felted characters (including, in this book, A FELTED HORSE! I'm dying) and photograph them to retell famous books in simple picture book form. Ahhhhhhh-dorable!



dance
The best thing about this one in particular is that I can actually follow a storyline. Soldier meets girl. Soldier's friend loves girl. Soldier goes off to war and gets hurt. Girl nurses him back to health but ultimately ends up with his friend. Also, there's a winter in there. 


horse
Is that actually the plot of War and Peace? I have no idea. Like I said, it's 1200 pages long. But the fact that Jack and Holman Wang could even attempt to distill it down to just a few words and pictures is pretty darn amazing. Also, there is a felted cannon with wool for smoke that nearly made me swoon, it was so cute.

Plus now I can say I "read" War and Peace. Yay!



Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

RELATED POSTS:
Pride and Prejudice
Moby Dick
Topsy-Turvy Inside-Out Knit Toys

2 comments:

ReadItDaddy said...

Aren't the cozy classics just lovely? We really loved them to bits, and could think of a stack of books we'd love to see getting the cozy classics treatment (Really hoping either Dracula or Frankenstein make the cut at some point in the future).

BTW Love your blog, so many great books!!!

Beatnik Mary said...

That is a great blog post idea!!