Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pass It On, by Marylyn Sadler (illustrated by Michael Slack)

Pass It On
Author: Marylyn Sadler
Illustrator: Michael Slack
Publisher: Blue Apple Books
Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Oh this book would have been so great if the pages had lined up properly! I received the e-book version of this through Edelweiss and read it on my desktop with my three-year-old, Magda. The problem was, the book is clearly meant to be read two pages at a time (like you would with a print book), which is normally not a problem since I just set my desktop reader to the two-page view. With most e-books, though, the publishers remember to number the pages in the digital file the same way you would number the pages in the print edition, or leave blank pages where necessary, so that a two-page illustration--say, pages 2-3 in the book--appear together in the e-book edition. Blue Apple Books, however, didn't do that. They added extra file pages at the beginning (a page of promotional bookmarks or something) that messed up the page numbers and made it impossible for me to view this book properly. So Magda and I viewed half a cow and half a dog on one page, then flipped to the next page for the other half of the dog and half a duck, etc. I contacted the publisher (more than once) to ask for a better review copy, but did not hear back. From this, I can only assume that the e-book edition is exactly like the review copy I received, in which case I would recommend you avoid it at all costs. If, however, you find a print copy, check it out as it's actually a pretty cute story! It's a play on that old "telephone" game I used to play as a child (I'm sure you did too) where the farm animals have to pass messages along and it all gets muddled up.

Hit the jump for Magda's take and more!


Magda's Take:
"I don't really know what they were doing...I didn't like when they all had a crash at the end but then they had a party so it was okay."

You May Also Like:














Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from Blue Apple Books through Edelweiss (Above the Tree Line). I was asked to write an honest review, though not necessarily a favourable one. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: