Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Lester's Dreadful Sweaters, by K.G. Campbell


Lester's Dreadful Sweaters
Author: K.G. Campbell 
Publisher: Kids Can Press 
Publication Date: September 1, 2012 
Lester is a particular boy. He likes everything to be orderly and neat. He likes things to be proper. So when his Cousin Clara comes to stay (whose cousin she is remains unclear) and proceeds to knit Lester sweater after horrible sweater, all with extra bits or missing arm holes, Lester is not happy. In fact, he's dreadful. He tries everything he can think of to "accidentally" lose or destroy each sweater, but Cousin Clara is a maddeningly fast knitter and there's always another monstrosity to replace the last.

It's rare to get a chance to witness the beginning of the career of a children's book author you know is destined to be beloved by generations. I am too young to have read the very first book by Shel Silverstein, Roald Dahl or Margaret Wise Brown, before everyone knew their names, and seen their work from the beginning. But I'm fairly certain that in a few decades time, everyone will know Keith Gordon Campbell from the library of quirky and beloved children's classics he has yet to write. If Lester's Dreadful Sweaters is any indication, you'll be buying his books for your great-grandchildren. I'm actually astounded that this is his debut book. After reading it, I immediately felt such a strong kinship with it that I was certain I had been reading and loving it for years!

Hit the jump for Magda's Take and more!


Magda's Take:
"Lester kept destroying all his sweaters! If that happened to me, I would have learned how to knit and I would have said, 'I'll make my own sweaters!'"

You Might Also Like:

by Judith Viorst (illustrated by Ray Cruz) 




by Maurice Sendak


by Diane Hendry

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: