Tuesday, January 15, 2013

How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum, by Jessie Hartland

How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum:
The story of a 145-million-year journey from the Jurassic Plains of Utah to the halls of the Smithsonian Institution
Author: Jessie Hartland
Publisher: Blue Apple Books
Publication Date: October 11, 2011

I wish I could go back in time and have Jessie Hartland write an entire series of "How the..." books that I could enjoy throughout my childhood. I would have absolutely loved this book as a child! It's like a cumulative poem (think "The House That Jack Built") about dinosaur bones. It starts with how the dinosaur lived, how it probably died, who discovered the bones, who excavated, cleaned, shipped, assembled and displayed the bones in a museum, etc. It includes all the steps along the way, which is not only interesting and entertaining, it's very informative as well! It's also great to see all of the different jobs there are for people interested in paleontology or museums, beyond just the museum curator or the paleontologist. Plus, there's a bonus page at the end that explains a bit more about the actual dinosaur hunter and paleontologist featured in the book.

I hope Jessie Hartland writes a dozen more of these, like "How the Hamburger Got to Your Plate" (okay, that one might be a bit gruesome) or "How the Diamond Got on the Ring" (hmm...gruesome as well?) or maybe "How the Book Got to the Library." Hmm...maybe those aren't the best ideas, but I'll still be eagerly looking out for any more books that Jessie Hartland might do!

Hit the jump for Magda's Take and more...

The only downside is that the digital copy I received had misnumbered pages so the files didn't line up on my "two-page view" on my desktop reader. But that would really only be a problem if you were trying to read an e-book edition, not the print copy.

Magda's Take:
"They broke the dinosaur bones and they had to fix them, like with tape! That was really funny."
You May Also Like:

by Rebecca L. Johnson


by Howard Temperley (illustrated by Michael Kline)


by Nicholas Oldland

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from Blue Apple Books through Edelweiss (Above the Tree Line). I was asked to write an honest review, though not necessarily a favourable one. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: