Saturday, January 5, 2013

There Were Dinosaurs Everywhere! A Rhyming Romp Through Dinosaur History


There Were Dinosaurs Everywhere!
A Rhyming Romp Through Dinosaur History
Author: Howard Temperley 
Illustrator: Michael Kline 
Publisher: KWS Publishers 
Publication Date: October 26, 2012 
What a fantastic book! It's eighty pages of funny and informative poems about dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (my resident dino-geek, Mike, insisted that I make the distinction since not all prehistoric creatures that we think of as 'dinosaurs' were, in fact, classified as dinosaurs). The illustrations are cute and charming, showing dinosaurs in silly situations, like pterosaurs with aviator glasses and a triceratops curled up in bed with insomnia. My three-year-old also enjoyed reading it with me, though it is intended for an older child and would be perfect for any elementary school aged dinosaur lover.

Normally I don't make reference to books being "girl" books or "boy" books. Actually, it's a pet peeve of mine that there even ARE books that are only meant for one gender or the other, especially with books for children. As a mother of a young child, I'm constantly irritated with how much genderizing the world seems to want to do to my daughter, even in books. But one thing I did love about this book is that it does not appear gender biased. Sometimes dinosaur things are subtly (or not so subtly) geared toward boys, but this book shows illustrations of girls and boys both, and refers to the dinosaurs mostly as "it" or "they" (instead of always "he"). It's a small thing, but I appreciated it.
Hit the jump for Magda's Take and more...
Magda's Take:
"Is there a scelidosaurus? Can you read me a poem about a scelidosaurus?"

You May Also Like:






Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: