Thursday, June 6, 2013

Digital Wildlife Photography, by John and Barbara Gerlach



Digital Wildlife Photography
Authors: John and Barbara Gerlach
Publisher: Focal Press
Publication Date: November 14, 2012
Boy, if there was ever a book that needed a subtitle, it's this one! I thought it was a book OF wildlife photography, not a book ABOUT wildlife photography! It's my fault for not reading the description better. I was really looking forward to some beautiful, high-res photos of wildlife, like what's on the cover. Instead it's a book about how to get the most out of your digital camera when trying to take pictures like that on your own. So disappointed!

That's not to say that YOU'LL be disappointed because now that you know what the book is about, it might be exactly the book you're looking for. Unless you're looking for a coffee table style book of glossy animal pictures, in which case you will be disappointed (but don't say I didn't warn you). Here are some of the topics covered in the book:
Chapter 1 - Cameras and Accessories: The Best Wildlife Camera SystemsChapter 2 - Choosing and Using Lenses: Selecting Quality LensesChapter 3 - Exposure StrategiesChapter 4 - Precise Focusing TechniquesChapter 5 - Shooting Quality ImagesChapter 6 - The Crucial Role of LightChapter 7 - CompositionChapter 8 - Electronic FlashChapter 9 - Getting Close to Wildlife
Not covered: Adorable little lambs jumping over their mothers. For those photos, you should really check out the Flickr stream of photographer Roeselien Raimond. She has nothing to do with this book, but she took this photo. Look! It's a leaping lamb!
Photo by: Roeselien Raimond
It's not in the book. It has nothing to do with the book. It's just an awesome photo.

To find out more about the book you can also visit the authors' website. Sorry I couldn't be more help in reviewing this book. I actually don't know that much about digital photography and I have apparently reached an age where I have to start asking younger family members to adjust the settings on my camera for me (when the eff did THAT happen?) so I'm probably not the target audience for this book.

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

RELATED POSTS:
Reflect and Write
Alphabet Everywhere
Creating Children's Artwork Quilts

No comments: