Friday, June 28, 2013

Knit Your Socks on Straight: A New and Inventive Technique with Just Two Needles, by Alice Curtis

Knit Your Socks on Straight:
A New and Inventive Technique with Just Two Needles
Author: Alice Curtis
Publisher: Storey Publishing
Publication Date: May 15, 2013
Oh thank goodness I found this book! I'm still a beginner knitter and though I've finally figured out how to follow a pattern (mostly) I'm terribly intimidated by "knitting in the round." If you're not familiar with that, it usually means knitting round things (like socks and hats) by using four double-pointed knitting needles at the same time (that's a total of eight pointy things!) or else using a circular knitting needle that has a point at each end and a bendy cable in the middle. It's all very scary to me. I'm just not ready! Why can't I make everything with seams? At least for a little while?

Well thanks to Alice Curtis I absolutely can! Her sock patterns all have seams (along the top or the side) and only require two normal, straight knitting needles (no double points or bendy cables required). Plus she's got some insanely cute patterns (some with buttons and at least one with fringe and tassels called "moccasocks") that might make even experienced "knitters in the round" consider trying something different. I haven't made any of them yet but I can't wait to try!

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.


No comments: