Saturday, July 26, 2014

Big or Little? (Board Book edition), by Kathy Stinson (illustrations by Jennifer A. Bell)

Kathy Stinson's (Red is BestThe Man With the Violin) new book, Big or Little? is about an experience that every parent of a toddler or preschooler can relate to: your child feels (and behaves) like a big kid some of the time, but also feels (and is treated) like a little kid other times.

Helping in the garden makes him feel big. Being able to reach the elevator button makes her feel big. But then she has to go to bed when she's not even tired, or he tries putting on a shirt and the sleeves end up in all the wrong places, and it's back to feeling small.

It's the constant struggle of being a toddler (as The Honest Toddler will attest).

I say that parents will relate to it, but I can't guarantee that kids will admit to it (even though these are things they go through ALL THE TIME). When I read it to Magda I asked what things made her feel big or little. She said, "I'm four, Mommy. I'm BIG. FOUR IS BIG, Mommy." She probably just didn't want to admit to anything, in case it was a trick question to get her to take a nap when she wasn't tired.







BOOK DETAILS:
Big or Little?
Author: Kathy Stinson
Illustration: Jennifer A. Bell
Publisher: Annick Press
Publication Date: January 9, 2014 (Boardbook edition)
(Originally published March 1, 1983, by Annick)
View on Amazon

Source: NetGalley

MENTIONED IN THIS REVIEW:
The Honest Toddler
(my review)
Red is Best
The Man With the Violin
(my review)

No comments: