Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Cozy Classics: Oliver Twist, by Jack Wang and Holman Wang

Cozy Classics: Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist
Authors: Jack and Holman Wang (and Charles Dickens)
Publisher: Simply Read Books
Publication Date: December 5, 2013
Source: NetGalley
View on Amazon







Oh I love these Cozy Classics so much! I love just about everything about them. I love how adorable the felted dolls are, and how intricately they're posed in each scene with detailed backgrounds, and how the background of the first page is always the first page of the actual book. They're just fantastic!




I'll admit I don't remember Oliver Twist that well. I don't think I ever read it. My school may have performed it as a play but I'm not sure. Isn't there a murder in it? Rest assured, there is no murder in the Cozy Classic version!


There are some dicey characters though. Look at their mean faces! I feel so bad for little Felted Oliver!



I've been reading these books with my daughter since she was a baby and now that she's just learning to read on her own (she's four), there is one thing I notice about these books. The font they use is the kind that's typical of book printing but doesn't look like how you actually write words. Oh, I'm terrible at explaining this because I don't know font-speak. Is there a font geek in the house who can help me out?

What I mean is that the 'a' and 'g', for example, have the extra serifs that make them look different than how you would actually write or print them. Here, like this:
a a
g g 

See what I mean? That's Times New Roman on the left and some other font on the right (sorry, I'm terrible at font names). Anyway, it's a little thing, but it really helps when children are learning to read and write if the letters in the book look like the letters they're supposed to learn.

But other than that small thing, these books are wonderful!


CHECK OUT THE WHOLE COZY CLASSIC COLLECTION:

NEW! Oliver Twist
Les Misérables 
NEW! Jane Eyre
NEW! Emma
Pride and Prejudice
War and Peace
COMING SOON!
COMING SOON!
Moby Dick

No comments: