Monday, April 29, 2013

In Lucia's Neighborhood, by Pat Shewchuk (illustrated by Marek Colek)


In Lucia's Neighborhood
Author: Pat Shewchuk 
Illustrator: Marek Colek 
Publisher: Kids Can Press 
Publication Date: March 1, 2013 
I can't say enough wonderful things about this book. The illustrations are GORGEOUS and make me want to live in the neighbourhood in the book (which I think is somewhere in Toronto but I'm not sure). It follows the story of a little girl, Lucia, as she listens to her grandmother tell her about urban visionary Jane Jacobs then explores her own neighbourhood with renewed appreciation. But my absolute favourite thing about the book? All the people in the streets, the parks, the doorways...none of them are texting! The teenagers are hanging out, the old men are feeding birds, there are people reading books and playing cards. But no one has a laptop or a cell phone. There was something quite lovely about that.

I will definitely be looking for more books by author Pat Shewchuk and especially illustrator Marek Colek!
Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

You Might Also Like:

No comments: