Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Berenstain Bears Easter Magic: A Berenstain Bears' Ebook, by Stan and Jan Berenstain


The Berenstain Bears Easter Magic:
A Berenstain Bears' Ebook
Author: Stan and Jan Berenstain 
Publisher: Open Road Integrated Media 
Publication Date: October 16, 2012 
(Originally published by GT Publishing on February 1, 1997) 
Oh my goodness, I almost forgot about this one! I had intended to review it before Easter. Oops!

It's rare that my daughter Magda and I disagree so completely about a book. Usually if she loves a book, it makes me like it more, and vice versa. And then there's the Berenstain Bears. The freaking Berenstain Bears. No amount of irritation on my part about the saccharine, vacuous, aggressively well-intentioned cartoon bear family can dissuade her from loving these books. And I can't flat out refuse to read them to her because, truthfully, I don't really find them objectionable...just boring.

So here are Magda's and my (wildly different) reviews:

A Conversation with my 3-year-old daughter about The Berenstain Bears Easter Magic ebook:

Me: Magda, look it's a new Berenstain Bear Easter book.

Magda: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! Let's read it!

Me: *sigh* Okay.

Magda: LET'S READ IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Me: *shudder* All right...

Magda: That was great! Did you see the bears? There's a brother and a sister and they went out in the rain and it's Easter!!

Me: Yes. They didn't really do much though, did they?

Magda: Yes they did Mommy! They went out in the rain and there was an Easter bunny and it's Easter!

Me: Uh, yeah. So you liked the book?

Magda: YES! IT WAS GREAT!

Me: I guess. I mean, it was kind of short.

Magda: I know! LET'S READ IT AGAIN!

(And repeat.)

I don't think we'll ever agree on these books (at least not until she's an adult and has to read them to her kids). I also don't think I'll ever find them offensive enough to ban them. Which means I have a lot of Brother and Sister Bear in my immediate future.

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

RELATED POSTS:

No comments: