Thursday, May 16, 2013

Oh, The Things My Mom Will Do...Because She Loves Me Through and Through, by Marianne Richmond


Oh, The Things My Mom Will Do...Because She Loves Me Through and Through
Author: Marianne Richmond
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Publication Date: April 2, 2013
Let's be clear. This is a book for moms. It's a book for moms to give to other moms, or for husbands to give their wives, or maybe--just maybe--for kids to give their moms for Mother's Day. It's not a book for kids. It's like saying that a book called, "My Wife is Perfect and Makes Me a Better Person and Looks So Thin in Those Jeans" is a book for husbands. 

Oh, the Things My Mom Will Do...Because She Loves Me Through and Through is a fantasy book for moms who do too much (WAYYYY too much, but more on that later). The fantasy is that your kids not only notice, but that they are eternally grateful for your efforts at packing their school lunches and sewing their school play costumes. They are not. They should be, but they're not. Maybe they appreciate it, but NOT ENOUGH, PEOPLE. NOT ENOUGH. Certainly not enough to wax poetic about how amazing mom is for staying up all night tube-feeding their pet hamster.

Sigh. Maybe it's just that my own child is being particularly ungrateful lately (she got WAY too used to those animal shaped sandwiches I was making her!) but the mom in this story is doing wayyyyy too much. Staying up all night to take care of the sick hamster and feed it orange juice? Staying up another night working on the school costume that the child didn't even bother to tell her about? This woman needs some sleep! 

On second thought, it's possible that I'm the one who just needs some sleep...


Magda's Take:
"Mommy, you're so amazing. What did I ever do to deserve such a wonderful mommy? Thank-you for picking up my toys while I was sleeping. I'm going to write a book about how fantastic you are."
Okay, she didn't say any of that. But wouldn't it be cool if she did?

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

You May Also Like:

No comments: