Thursday, May 9, 2013

Stripes of All Types, by Susan Stockdale


Stripes of All Types
Author: Susan Stockdale
Publisher: Peachtree
Publication Date: April 1, 2013
As a daycare teacher, a parent and a book blogger, I often hear parents talk about what age is "too old" for board books, or "too old" for picture books, as though at a certain age children should throw out all their books in favour of "older" ones. But I disagree. Children should be encouraged to keep reading more difficult and challenging books, but that doesn't mean they have to give up their baby or toddler books. Many children have favourite pictures books that they continue to love even after they've moved on to chapter books. 

And books like Stripes of All Types are precisely the reason you shouldn't be too quick to discard your child's "baby books" as they get older. It's exactly the kind of book I can imagine kids loving from the time they are babies until they are well into school aged. 

The illustrations are simple, showing striped patterns of all different types of animals (hence, stripes of all types), from zebra and tiger and skunk to okapi and bongo and tapir. There's even a matching quiz at the end (my three-year-old was much better at it than I was).


Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.


You May Also Like: 




No comments: