Tuesday, June 10, 2014

If It Rains Pancakes: Haiku and Lantern Poems, by Brian P. Cleary (illustrated by Andy Rowland)

As a poet and a teacher, I naturally love books that help kids develop a love of poetry. Having said that, I'll be the first to admit that it's not always easy to find poetry books for very young children. Sure, many children's books are written in verse, but most of them don't draw attention to that fact, so it's not always easy to introduce poetry as a concept to young kids.

If It Rains Pancakes introduces haiku and lantern poems by giving examples with themes that children would like (like pancakes!). It may not be the most sophisticated introduction to the poetic forms, but that's kind of the point. Plus, I'll admit I wasn't familiar with lantern poems so it was a nice introduction for me as well!



Magda's Take:
I liked the little poem stories. My favourite was "If It Rains Pancakes." When I saw the book, I hoped there would be one about pancakes and there was! I really like pancakes.

BOOK DETAILS:
If It Rains Pancakes: Haiku and Lantern Poems
by Brian P. Cleary
Illustrated by Andy Rowland
Series: Poetry Adventures
Publisher: Millbrook Press
Publication Date: May 1, 2014
View on Amazon

Source: NetGalley


No comments: