Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Good Dog, by Todd Kessler (illustrated by Jennifer Gray Olson)

Well I knew I had to get this book as soon as I saw that it was about a dog named Tako because that was also my dog's name when I was a child. What are the odds? And I'm so glad I did. Both my daughter and I were completely charmed by this tale of a lonesome dog who finds a family and eventually becomes a hero.

My favourite part: I love the fact that Tako's owners, the Lee family, have a bakery that is constantly being sabotaged by the greedy corporate baker up the hill, because I think it's very funny that someone so obsessed with money would choose to open a bakery in the first place. Plus all of his baked goods are completely joyless, which I also think is very funny (How do you even make a sad cupcake? Somehow he manages it).


I also like how it shows the difference between acting like a "good dog" or a "good person" and actually doing the right thing, which isn't always the same thing.

Magda's favourite part: "I really like that the little boy found a dog and he actually go to keep him. That's awesome!"


[Mom's note: Yeah, thanks a lot for THAT idea.]

BOOK DETAILS:
The Good Dog, by Todd Kessler
Illustrator: Jennifer Gray Olson
Publisher: Greenleaf Book Group
Publication Date: July 15, 2014
View on Amazon

Source: NetGalley
Book Website

No comments: