Monday, February 10, 2014

Halloween: Magic, Mystery and the Macabre, by Paula Guran (ed.)

Halloween: Magic, Mystery, and the Macabre
Edited by Paula Guran
Published by Prime Books
Publication Date: October 1, 2013
Source: NetGalley
View on Amazon

If only I'd had more time this Halloween, I would have lingered over these stories more! Unfortunately this has been a very busy month (couple of months actually) for me and it seems like I never have enough time to read, which is bad considering my hobby is writing book reviews. It's not that I'm not reading; it's just that I'm fitting it in when I can, speed-reading or sneaking in a chapter in between other chores. What I really miss is having the time to sit down and read--undisturbed--for hours on end.

And that's what this book would have been good for. Curling up on the cold nights leading to Halloween and getting lost in spooky stories. They reminded me a lot of the sort of horror fiction I read as a child, à la Stephen King. There are tales of haunted movie theatres, bodies that don't stay buried, and good old-fashioned ghosts and ghouls. Luckily, most of the stories were short enough that I could fit them in to my reading schedule without any trouble. But if you have the time, I'd recommend lingering over them, preferably at night with the lights low and the house creaking.

No comments: