Monday, February 10, 2014

Smelling Sunshine, by Constance Anderson

Smelling Sunshine
Author: Constance Anderson
Publisher: Star Bright Books
Publication Date: October 25, 2013
Source: NetGalley

I love these sorts of children's books that take something simple from everyday life and show how universal it is, how similar it is for people all around the world. In this case it's the act of hanging clothes out on the line. It's a shame this book didn't come out at the beginning of summer instead of the end of October, though. I'm envious of people who live in climates where they can still hang clothes out to dry at this time of the year. As I am writing this, I am listening to a cold, wet storm blustering around outside and, even when it clears, I suspect I'll wake up to frost on the ground more mornings than not. So I doubt I'll be hanging clothes on the line any time soon. When Magda and I first read this last week, she immediately began looking for examples of clothes on the lines in our neighbourhood. She found a few, but I don't think she'll find many more until spring. (Yes, I know, there are some people who hang clothes out year-round even in Nova Scotia but it's the small minority, especially considering how rainy and snowy it gets here from November to April.) Perhaps we'll re-read this again next May!

No comments: