Monday, February 10, 2014

King for a Day, by Rukhsana Khan (illustrated by Cristiane Krömer)

King for a Day
Author: Rukhsana Khan
Illustrator: Cristiane Krömer
Publisher: Lee and Low Books 
Publication Date: November 12, 2013
Source: Edelweiss

Basant is the kite festival of Pakistan, where children everywhere have a sort of "kite battle" to try to be the King of Basant. My only previous knowledge of the kite festival came from The Kite Runner, so I was relieved to know that nothing so horrible happened in this book (if you haven't read or watched The Kite Runner, some HORRIBLE things happen in it...it's very traumatizing).


 The worst thing that happens in this book is that a bully makes fun of the other children and then gets his comeuppance in the form of kite-based defeat, though I may have read more subtext into it than necessary because of my previous experience with The Kite Runner. You know what? I think I'm just going to turn this whole review over to my daughter, Magda.



Magda's review:
So when I get older and I travel, I hope I'm going to get to go to Pakistan where the kite festival is, and then I can see the kite festival. And they'll say, "Do you know what today is?" And I'll say, "Yes, it's the kite festival day!" I'll know because I already read this book! Can we go fly a kite now, Mommy?


No comments: