Monday, February 10, 2014

The White Dress in Color: Wedding Inspirations for the Modern Bride, by Beth Lindsay Chapman, Candice Dowling Coppola and Carla Ten Eyck

The White Dress in Color:
Wedding Inspirations for the Modern Bride
Authors: Beth Lindsay Chapman, Candice Dowling Coppola and Carla Ten Eyck
Publisher: Schiffer
Publication Date: October 28, 2013
Source: NetGalley

I have a confession to make: I hate weddings. It's true, I do. I don't have any lingering childhood dreams about my ideal wedding day. The thought of planning such a thing practically makes me break out in hives. I've been to many weddings and I'm always thrilled to be a part of my friends' big days, but I don't actually enjoy weddings themselves. I love being a mother too, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed giving birth.

So why am I reviewing a book about wedding dresses? Why did I even pick it up? Well one thing I do love is pretty dresses. That and gorgeous photography. I'm a sucker for high-res artsy photos of ladies in fancy dresses with complicated hair. Pinterest is a g.d. nightmare for me. I could waste hours staring at pictures of elaborate braids and bejewelled gowns before I emerge in a stupor to wonder where the day went.

This book definitely satisfied that second urge. It's filled with gorgeous--gorgeous--photos of women in fancy gowns with complicated hair. My favourite! It did stress me out a little because it's very "wedding-y" but I'm assuming that if you're interested in this book the "weddingy-ness" of it won't bother you.

One thing that did surprise me, though, was the fact that every single dress shown was a very traditional white dress. Every single one. With a title like "The White Dress in Color" I was honestly expecting that some of these dresses would be colourful twists on traditional dresses, or that there would at least be some unusual, modern variations. Not so. Every single wedding dress (and a few of the bridesmaids dresses) is a traditional white floor-length (or nearly floor-length) gown. Weird.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some complicated braids to drool at on Pinterest.

No comments: